The Adelphian Literary Society was one of two original literary societies founded in 1893. Dr. Charles McIver picked Mary Arrington to lead in the organization of the “A” society. She eventually became its first president. It was decided that the colors of the Society would be red and gold and their emblem to be a “greased pole.” Their motto was “Society of Sisters.”
In 1953 the Societies were formally disbanded with the approval of the presidents.