Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Alethehian Literary Society initiation, 1940
Alethian Literary Society initiation, 1940

Literary societies were first established at State Normal in 1893. In 1918, the school had grown to such a size that a third group was added, the Dikeans. By 1923, a fourth was added, the Aletheians.

The Alethian Society was founded in 1922 in response the growth of the college and effort to keep the Societies small enough that students would feel welcome in them. They drew their newest members from the three existing Societies. They adopted Alethian (meaning “Truth”) as their name, and their colors were violet and gold.

In 1953 the Societies were formally disbanded with the approval of the presidents.