Born in Atlanta on April 17, 1919, Dr. Anne Lewis was educated at the Randolph-Macon Women’s College (A.B., 1940), receiving her Master’s (1941) and Doctoral (1943) degrees at the University of Chicago. Dr. Lewis began her tenure as an instructor at the Woman’s College Department of Mathematics in 1945, and served as Department Head from 1956-1965. She resigned her position in the WC faculty after meeting and marrying D.B. Anderson, vice president of academic affairs for the University of North Carolina system.
Written by Julie Garling, Fall 2015 volunteer