The Department of Anthropology was established in March 1974 with Dr. Harriet Kupferer being named as the head of the Department. Prior to its creation, anthropology was housed under the Department of Sociology and Anthropology. The decision to separate the two departments came as a result of the continued growth and interest in the subject of anthropology. It was determined by the college administration that a separate department was the best way to ensure its success.
The first course listing for anthropology classes appeared in the University Catalog in 1964. An undergraduate major in anthropology was approved in 1968.
Department of Anthropology Heads:
- Harriet Kupferer (1974-1980)
- Mary W. Helms (1980-1986)
- Joseph B. Mountjoy (1986-1993)
- Willie L. Baber (1993-1998)
- Mary K. Sandford (1998-2003)
- Arthur D. Murphy (2004-2013)
- Robert L. Anemone (2013- )