This building was designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina. From 1923 until 1945 it was known as the “President’s Residence” and was the official home of the College’s presidents. From 1945 until 1995, the building was called the Chancellor’s Residence. It was located on the corner of Spring Garden Street and Forest Street. In 2003, the house was moved to its current site, the corner of Spring Garden Street and Kenilworth Street and rededicated as the Armfield-Preyer Admissions & Visitor Center in 2005.
This building’s name was chosen to honor two Woman’s College (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro) graduates. Jane Harris Armfield (Class of 1960) was a civil leader and board member of Weatherspoon Art Museum. Emily Harris Preyer (Class of 1939) served as student body president of Woman’s College, president of the University’s Alumni Association, and first chair of the University’s Annual Giving Council.