The Coleman Building , designed by Six Associates of Asheville, North Carolina, opened in 1989. Originally, it was called the Health and Human Performance Building (HHP). On March 22, 2015, the HHP Building was rededicated as the Coleman Building. It was named in memory of Mary Channing Coleman, the founding director of the school’s department of physical education.
The Coleman Building is the largest complex on campus and incorporated two older gymnasiums – Rosenthal, which opened in 1925 and Coleman, which opened in 1952. The Rosenthal Gymnasium remains a free standing building. In 1989, it was renamed the Rosenthal Annex when it became a part of the Health and Human Performance (HHP) Building. The Rosenthal Gymnasium was designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina, and opened in 1925. From 1925 to 1928, the building was called the Physical Education Building. In 1928, it was named in honor of Jonathan “Joe” Rosenthal, member of the Board of Directors from 1910 to 1927.