The University of North Carolina chapter of Delta Pi Epsilon, honorary graduate fraternity for men and women in Business Education, was chartered on the Woman’s College (now UNCG) campus June 23, 1942. D. D. Lessenberry, national president of Delta Pi Epsilon and director of commercial education at the University of Pittsburgh, installed the Zeta chapter (the sixth chapter in the national fraternity) and conducted the initiation of the 18 chapter members on that date. The installation banquet and initiation ceremony was held at the O. Henry Hotel in Greensboro. The principal banquet speakers were Dr. Walter Clinton Jackson, dean of administration at Woman’s College, and Dr. Franklin H. McNutt, head of the college department of education and associate dean of the graduate school for the college.
Four faculty members and fourteen graduate students were inducted as charter members. Faculty members inducted were: Miss Maude L. Adams, Miss Sievers, Miss Emily Gentry and Miss Barbara Perecinic. Graduate students inducted were: Emma Catharine Cobb, Elizabeth Cummings, Virginia Daniel, Evelyn Fowler, Janette Hellams, Frances McQuarrie, Laura McNair, Sara Pearlstine, Cordelia Walke, Virginia Cahoon Gilliam, Kathryn McEntire, Max Keith, William B. Logan, and George Thomas Walker.
Delta Pi Epsilon is last listed as an honorary society at UNCG in the 2003-2004 course bulletin.