Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

From its opening in 1892, UNCG has facilitated studies in accounting and finance. The first course offered was in Bookkeeping, which was taught under the Commercial Department. Students who studied under the Commercial Department would receive a certificate, until 1940 when the department of Business Education and Secretarial Administration added a bachelor’s degree consisting of similar classes. In 1966, the Commercial Department fully merged with the Department of Business Education and Secretarial Administration. In 1971, the Department of Business Education and Secretarial Administration became part of the newly established School of Business and Economics. Accounting became an independent department in 1974 within the School of Business and Economics. The Department of Finance was created in 1985 and then merged with the Department of Business Administration in 1995. Finally, in 2006 the Department of Finance was extracted out of the Department of Business Administration and paired up with the Department of Accounting to create the Department of Accounting and Finance.

Department Heads:

Edward Jacob Forney (1892-1940)

McKee Fisk (1940-1943)

George M. Joyce (1935-1952, 1954-1956)

Vance T. LittleJohn (1943-1969)

Angelo Fergerson (1952-1954)

Roscoe Allen (1956-1966)

Francis Covington (1974-1975)

Charles Mecimore (1975-1977, 1980-1999)

Stanley Kratchman (1977-1978)

G. Donald Judd (1985-1993)

William Collins (1989-1996)

Donald McCrickard (1993-1995)

Benton Miles (1995-2006)

Susan Anderson (1999-2001)

C.Edward Arrington (2001-2005)

Daniel Winkler (2006-current)

Department Names:

The Commercial Department (1892-1966)

Department of Business Education and Secretarial Administration (1940-1971)

Department of Accounting (Created in 1972, not fully independent until 1974 -2006)

Department of Finance (1985-1995)

Department of Accounting and Finance (2006- Current)