Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

UNCG began offering classes in chemistry in 1893, under the Department of Science. Until 1900,  students who concentrated their studies in science took chemistry courses during their sophomore year. In 1900, the Department of Chemistry and Physics was created out of the Department of Science. The department split in 1992 to form the Department of Chemistry and Department of Physics. Biochemistry became a concentration within the Chemistry Department in 1996. Two years later, the department changed its name from the Department of Chemistry to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Today, the department offers four programs of study: Bachelor of Arts in chemistry, Bachelor of Science in chemistry, Bachelor of Science in biochemistry, and pre-pharmacy.

 

Departmental Heads:

Dixie Lee Bryant (1892-1899)

Mary Petty (1893-1934)

Florence Schaeffer (1934-1964)

Walter Puterbaugh (1964-1981)

Harvey Herman (1981-1990)

Michael Farona (1990-1998)

Terrence Nile (1998-2005)

Patricia Reggio (2005-current)

 

Departmental Names:

Department of Science (1892-1900)

Department of Chemistry and Physics (1900-1996)

Department of Chemistry (1996-1998)

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (1998-current)