Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The State Normal and Industrial School (now known as UNCG) offered its first geography course in 1926 through the Department of Economics. In 1929, a “Geography and Nature Studies” concentration was established through the Department of Biology. The concentration would simply become known as a “Geography” concentration in 1933. An independent Geography Department was eventually established in 1941 and today offers three concentrations in Urban Planning, Earth Science/ Environmental Studies, and Geographic Information Science.

 

Department Heads:

Givler Hall (-1941)

Elizabeth Arundel (1941-1960)

Craig Dozier (1960-1980)

John Hidore (1980-1987)

John Rees (1987-1993)

Gordon Bennett (1993-2003)

Jeffery Patton (2003-current)

Department Names:

Geography and Nature Studies offered within the Department of Biology (1929-1933)

Geography concentration offered within the Department of Biology (1933-1941)

Department of Geography (1941-current)