The Dining Halls complex was built over a span of thirty-five years. Spencer Dining Hall was built in 1904, West (later Spartan) Dining Hall in 1921, South Dining Hall (later State) in 1924, Kitchen in 1927, and North Dining Hall in 1939. The four dining rooms and kitchen extend like spokes from the hub of a wheel. The complex was renovated in 1987-1988. Another multi-phase renovation began in 2012 and continued through 2015.