Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The laundry facility on Walker Avenue, 1906
The laundry facility on Walker Avenue, 1906

The first laundry on campus, located in Brick Dormitory, was destroyed when the dormitory burned in January of 1904.

The second laundry and the heating plant was built in 1905 on Walker Avenue and used until 1948. It was renovated in 1954 to house the first television facility on campus and razed around 1966 or 1967 when the Carmichael Building was built.

Oakland Avenue laundry, 1948
Oakland Avenue laundry, 1948

A third laundry was built in 1948 at Oakland Avenue and Forest Street and closed in August of 1975 when the University no longer offered laundry service.