Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Music performance (or applied music) has been a concentration within the music department since UNCG opened in 1892. The first concentration in performance offered was in vocal. It was not until 1900, with the addition of Charles J. Brockmann and his sister Laura Brockmann to the faculty, that a concentration in instrumental became available for piano and violin. Under this duo, the music department expanded by creating the first university orchestra, as well as, offering classes in piano, which were previously taught off campus. Over the last century, other majors for performance have been added including woodwind, conducting, collaborative piano, keyboards, percussion, brass, strings and voice.

Previously named: Applied Music

Department Heads:

  • Wade R. Brown (1912-1935)
  • Hugh Altvator (1936-1965)
  • Lawrence Hart (1966-1980)
  • Robert Blocker (1981-1982)
  • Arthur Tollefson (1984- 000)
  • John Deal (2001-2012)
  • Interim Dean – Dr. Sue Stinson (2012-2012)
  • Peter Alexander (2013-present)

Department names:

  • Department of Music/Vocals (1892)
  • School of Music (Officially, 1922)
  • School of Music, Theatre, and Dance (2010)
  • School of Visual and Performing Arts (2016)