The Phillips-Hawkins Residence Hall, designed by Six Associates of Asheville, North Carolina, opened in 1967. The building was named on October 6, 1967, in honor of Charles “Mr. Charlie” Wiley Phillips, Director of Public Relations from 1935 to 1962 and Kathleen Pettit Hawkins (Class of 1920), an employee of the campus for over forty-five years, most notably in the Student Financial Aid Office. At its opening, Phillips served as the first dormitory for male students on campus. The adjacent Hawkins Residence Hall was occupied by female students. The residence hall was renovated in 1998.