Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Rugby first came to the University in 1977 with the establishment of the Men’s Rugby Club. The Women’s Rugby Club was founded in 2002.  The UNCG Men’s and Women’s Rugby Clubs are University sponsored and student led sports clubs.

Basketball was one of the first sports played at the school now known as UNCG. The university, however, did not admit degree-seeking undergraduate male students until Fall 1964, but men’s basketball was played on campus in 1932. President Julius Foust decided that year to allow young men from the Greensboro area to enroll at Woman’s College due to […]

During the 1932-1933 academic year, young men from the Greensboro area were allowed to enroll at Woman’s College (now UNCG) as non-degree seeking undergraduate students. Parents and the young men themselves petitioned for admittance, citing dire financial constraints due to the Great Depression. In total 80 men enrolled at WC that year (48 freshman, 21 sophomores, two juniors, […]

Originally from Burlington, North Carolina, Martin’s family moved to Greensboro and lived near campus in houses on Tate and Spring Garden streets. He attended the university-owned Curry School from grades 4-12. While he was at Curry School, he played on the Men’s Basketball team and set records for most rebounds (25) and points (50) in […]

In 1978, Lynne Agee began her collegiate career at Roanoke College, accepting the head coaching position for the women’s basketball program. In three years at Roanoke, the team achieved a 46-23 record that included an outstanding effort in the 1980-81 season. The Lady Maroons went 21-6, won the Virginia Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women […]