Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The Becher-Weaver Building, located off campus at 915 Northridge Street, was constructed in 1925. Additions were made in 1946 and 1965. Portions of the building were designed by Greensboro, North Carolina architects Raleigh James Hughes and Carl F. Andrews.  In 2000, it was named for F. James Becher, Jr. and H. Michael Weaver, local business […]

This residence hall, located at the corner of Spring Garden Street and Aycock Street was designed by Little Diversified, of Raleigh, North Carolina, and was opened in 1993. It is located near The University of North Carolina at Greensboro water tower and can accommodate 300 students in 4 and 5 bedroom suites, each complete with mini-kitchens.

The Spencer Residence Hall, designed by W. C. Holleyman of Greensboro, North Carolina, consists of two connecting buildings: North Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1904, and South Spencer Residence Hall, which opened in 1907. Spencer was constructed after the Brick Dormitory fire of 1904 destroyed one of the two residence halls on campus. Within […]

Spartan Village, designed by Lord-Aech-Sargent of Atlanta, Georgia, and Teague Freyaldenhoven Freyaldenhoven Architects of Greensboro, North Carolina, is a mixed-use community located south of the main campus of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG), along the Gate City Boulevard (formerly West Lee Street) corridor. Linked by the Pedestrian Tunnel, the Spartan Village consists […]