Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Joanne V. Creighton served as the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) from 1985 to 1990. Before coming to UNCG, Creighton had been a professor of English Literature from 1968 to 1985 at Wayne State University, and served as interim dean of the College […]

In 1938, Dean of Administration Walter Clinton Jackson approved the first formal religious course for students which focused on the life and teachings of Jesus. It was not until thirteen years later, in 1951, that the university began adding more religious courses to its catalog under the Department of Philosophy. In keeping with the trend […]

In 1989, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) introduced its Freshman Seminar Program, which was designed to give students the opportunity to study a topic in depth, while satisfying some portion of the All-University Liberal Education Requirements. The seminars were small discussion classes (maximum enrollment of 20) taught by faculty selected for their […]

UNCG began offering classes in chemistry in 1893, under the Department of Science. Until 1900,  students who concentrated their studies in science took chemistry courses during their sophomore year. In 1900, the Department of Chemistry and Physics was created out of the Department of Science. The department split in 1992 to form the Department of Chemistry […]

Environmental Studies at UNCG was created in 1971, under the Department of Geography. In 1973, the name of the concentration changed from Environmental Studies to Earth Studies/Environmental Studies. The concentration became an interdisciplinary minor program in Liberal Studies within the College of Arts and Sciences in 2000 and in 2007 an Environmental Studies major was […]

The  was not created without significant thought and planning, which began in the late 1970’s. In 1977, draft proposals and program planning for the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) program by Jean Eason and Charles A. Church, Jr. were reviewed by the Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Robert Miller. These reports stated […]

The subject of political science was first introduced to the State Normal and Industrial College in the early 1910s and was managed under the Department of History. In 1919, the name of the Department of History was expanded to the Department of History and Political Science to reflect the broadened curriculum. In 1959, the school began […]

In 1919, the name of the Department of History was expanded to the Department of History and Political Science to reflect the broadened curriculum. Within that department, students were able to major in either history or political science. This organization would last until 1970 when the history and political science split into two separate departments — the Department […]

At its opening in 1892, the State Normal and Industrial School featured a Department of English and History. The department was led by Edwin Alderman. The following year, however, the two subjects were split into separate departments, with Lucy Robertson leading the Department of History. Coursework in the department included and emphasis on Greek and […]