Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Environmental Studies at UNCG was created in 1971, under the Department of Geography. In 1973, the name of the concentration changed from Environmental Studies to Earth Studies/Environmental Studies. The concentration became an interdisciplinary minor program in Liberal Studies within the College of Arts and Sciences in 2000 and in 2007 an Environmental Studies major was […]

The State Normal and Industrial School (now known as UNCG) offered its first geography course in 1926 through the Department of Economics. In 1929, a “Geography and Nature Studies” concentration was established through the Department of Biology. The concentration would simply become known as a “Geography” concentration in 1933. An independent Geography Department was eventually […]