Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Since 2013, Karen Wixson has been the William E. Moran Distinguished Professor in Reading and Literacy at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG). She received her B.S. in Behavioral Disabilities from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in 1972, an M.S.Ed. in Learning Disorders from State University of New York-Binghamton in 1975, and her M.S. […]

Charles Prall was Dean of the School of Education at the Woman’s College (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro) from 1949 until his retirement in 1958. He received his A.B. degree from the University of Iowa in 1912 and would go on to served four different rural school districts in Iowa as Superintendent […]

Kenneth Howe was a Professor of Education and Dean of the School of Education at the Woman’s College (and later UNCG) from 1958 to 1967.  A native of Michigan, Howe received his B.S. degree in Math and Science from Eastern Michigan University in 1935, and his M.A. degree in Guidance and Personnel from the University […]

Jack Bardon joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) in 1976, as the University’s seventh Excellence Fund Professor and to serve as the director of the new Office of Educational Development in the School of Education. Prior to coming to UNCG, Bardon had been a psychology professor and department head […]

The Counseling and Guidance program at Woman’s College (now at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG)) begun in 1959 when Dr. Marian Franklin was employed to teach a course in “Principles of Guidance” through the School of Education. The program expanded in 1965 when the UNCG Graduate Board and Consolidated University Board approved […]

The State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) was opened in 1892 to primarily serve as a training facility for teachers in North Carolina public schools. The Normal opened a practice and observation school in 1893 under the direction of Philander P. Claxton to ensure students were well versed in practice teaching. Nearly all of the […]

The State Normal and Industrial School had a practice and observation school, led by Philander P. Claxton, as early as 1893. Two of the ten original students at the practice school were school president Charles Duncan McIver‘s own children. In 1898, the practice and observation school was incorporated into the Greensboro public school system. It boasted […]