Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Patricia Chamings was a professor of nursing, and Dean of the School of Nursing at UNCG from 1985 to 1990. Born in 1940 and raised in Florida, Chamings received her B.S.N. and M.S.N degrees from the University of Florida’s College of Nursing in 1964 and 1965, respectively. After graduating, she taught at the University of […]

Eloise Patricia “Patty” Rallings Lewis was born on April 22, 1920 in Pageland, South Carolina, the fourth daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. Monroe Rallings, a country medical practitioner and a college speech teacher. She graduated from Pageland High School in 1936. Lewis attended Winthrop College (now Winthrop University) in Rock Hill, South Carolina, for […]

In February 1957, Woman’s College established the Department of Nursing Education to administer a two-year associates degree program. This program was a collaboration between the newly-built Moses Cone Hospital and Woman’s College. It was the first associates degree in nursing education program in North Carolina and one of the first in the United States. The Department […]

In 1965, the North Carolina General Assembly honored the request of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro for appropriations to establish a School of Nursing which would offer a program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. The School open in September 1966 with Dr. Eloise R. Lewis serving as the first Dean. […]

Margaret Catherine Moore of Baltimore, Maryland, attended the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina where she earned her Bachelor of Science degree in physical education and biology in 1935. While in school, Margaret was a member of the Adelphian Literary Society, the Athletic Association Cabinet, College Chorus, Playlikers, and the Student Government Association Judicial […]

This building, originally called Nursing Education Building, was designed by McMinn & Norfleet of Greensboro, North Carolina, and opened in 1969. On September 9, 1976, the building was named in honor of Margaret Catherine Moore (Class of 1935), member of the original faculty of the School of Nursing and chair of the building committee.