Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The Tavern, under the supervision of the Department of Home Economics, opened in November of 1935, as a place where students could take their dates and get refreshments.  Located in the basement of the Dining Hall, it was used as a lunch bar serving sandwiches and soups. The Tavern was open every week night, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon, and Sunday night.