The North Carolina College for Women Auditorium, designed by Harry Barton, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 1927. On June 4, 1928, the building was named in honor of North Carolina Governor Charles B. Aycock. Since its opening, the Auditorium has been used for commencement programs, chapel programs, lectures, and concerts. In 2006, the building closed for extensive renovations, including updating and improving acoustics, enlarging the orchestra pit, building new dressing rooms, and adding handicap accessibility to the entire building. Aycock Auditorium reopened in 2008.
On February 18, 2016, a recommendation was submitted by the Aycock Naming Subcommittee of the Board of Trustees to the BOT University Advancement Committee to remove the name of Governor Charles B. Aycock from Aycock Auditorium. The Subcommittee made the recommendation, stating that Charles B. Aycock’s “beliefs, actions, and resulting reputation related to matters of racial discrimination are contrary to the best interests of the University given its current mission and values.” The recommendation was approved on the same day. The Board of Trustees also approved UNCG Auditorium to serve as a temporary name of the auditorium until such time as a permanent name could be determined.