The Amphitheatre, and a lake, were designed by J. D. Spinks, an engineer from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and constructed by the Works Project Administration (WPA), in 1941. Located on a former nine-hole golf course, it was bordered by a lake on three sides with a maze of walkways, bridges, and steps approaching the structure. It had a seating capacity of 2500 people and included an outdoor stage to be used for meetings, May Day celebrations, plays, and pageants. It was razed in 1954 and the area was restored to meadowland.
105 thoughts on “Amphitheatre”
Comments are closed.