In 1931, the University of North Carolina consolidated university system was established, bringing together the state-sponsored institutions at Chapel Hill, Raleigh (then State College), and Greensboro (then the North Carolina College for Women) into a single consolidated university system, sharing a single president and board of trustees.
To promote unity among the students at the three institutions, a Consolidated University Council was created in 1948 to “act as a liaison among the three campuses and to represent the opinions, interests, and welfare of the students.” The Council consisted initially of 11 members, with meetings held quarterly. Membership grew to 13 in the mid-1950s.
The Council was also responsible for managing special events that aimed at uniting the three student bodies. This included Consolidated University Day.