The Cornelian Literary Society was established in 1893 as one of the two original campus literary societies. Founded and organized by Alice Green, it was originally known as “G” before being renamed the Cornelian Society. This name honored Cornelia, the mother of the Gracchi Twins of Roman legend. Their colors were blue and gold, and they had a goat as their mascot. Their motto was “For fellowship, knowledge, and culture.”
In 1953 the Societies were formally disbanded with the approval of the presidents.