Literary societies were first established at State Normal in 1893. In 1918, the school had grown to such a size that a third group was added, the Dikeans. The Dikean Literary Society was originally comprised of members of each of the other two Societies, and then began to induct its own members by 1919. Its name is Greek, meaning justice, equality, and rectitude. Its colors were green and gold.
In 1953 the Societies were formally disbanded with the approval of the presidents.