Dr. Bruce Eberhart was born on October 14, 1927 in San Jose, California. He joined the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) faculty as the head of the Department of Biology in 1963. He would serve as the department head until his retirement in 1979. During his tenure, Eberhart brought in over $30,000 worth of funding for the Biology Department and was a major contributor to the planning and raising of funds for the development of the Life Sciences Building.
Dr. Bruce Eberhart died in 1983. The Life Sciences Building was named the Eberhart Building in his honor on May 9, 1986 for his active role in research and his significant contributions through service to the department, university and community.