In 1919, the name of the Department of History was expanded to the Department of History and Political Science to reflect the broadened curriculum. Within that department, students were able to major in either history or political science. This organization would last until 1970 when the history and political science split into two separate departments — the Department of History and the Department of Political Science.
Department of History and Political Science Heads/Chairs:
- Walter Clinton Jackson (1919-1932, continued from Department of History)
- Benjamin Kendrick (1932-1945)
- Clarence D. Johns (1945-1950)
- Louise B. Alexander (1950-1955, acting head)
- Richard N. Current (1955-1960)
- Richard Bardolph (1960-1970, continuing as head of Department of History)