Margaret Catherine Moore of Baltimore, Maryland, attended the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina where she earned her Bachelor of Science degree in physical education and biology in 1935. While in school, Margaret was a member of the Adelphian Literary Society, the Athletic Association Cabinet, College Chorus, Playlikers, and the Student Government Association Judicial Board.
After graduating from WC, Margaret attended New York University where she received her Master of Arts degree in guidance and counseling. She then went on to receive a diploma in nursing from Bellevue Hospital School of Nursing in New York, and then a second graduate degree, a Master of Science in Nursing from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Margaret served on the faculty at UNC-Chapel Hill for six years, then returned to UNCG in 1967 as one of the first ten faculty for the newly formed School of Nursing. The Search Committee was pleased to hire one of UNCG’s own graduates as one of the members of the original faculty to teach
Margaret made significant contributions to UNCG’s School of Nursing, particularly the School of Nursing building. She served as Chairman of the Building Committee, contributing her creativity and knowledge of learning needs to develop plans for the building. The School of Nursing building was dedicated on Founder’s Day (October 5th) 1969.
Professor Moore passed away in 1975 at the age of 62. The School of Nursing building was name in her honor during the tenth anniversary observance of the founding of the School of Nursing, held on October 5, 1976