The Mathematics Department has been in existence at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro since its opening as the State Normal and Industrial School in 1892. By 1993, the Department had grown to include three distinct sub-disciplines: mathematics, computer science, and statistics. In 1994, the name of the department was changed to the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
In 2006, the department was split into two separate departments: the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the Department of Computer Science.
Department of Mathematical Sciences Heads/Chairs:
- Grace E. Kissling (interim head, 2000-2002)
- Robert L. Miller (2002-2004, later head of the Department of Computer Science)
- Alex Chigogidze (2004-2006, continuing as department head after name change)