This two-story, ten-room house was built in 1892 on the southwest corner of College Avenue and Spring Garden Street for President Charles Duncan McIver and his family. Mrs. McIver lived there until her death in December 1944.
The house was torn down in 1952 and since then has been commemorated on two occasions. The Class of 1923, on the occasion of its 30th reunion, commissioned a small brick foundation from which the original 1892 School bell, or “University Bell,” which was used to summon the students, would hang. In 1967, on the occasion of the University’s 75th anniversary, the student body voted to build a more elaborate brick setting on the site named Student Anniversary Plaza. Student Anniversary Plaza was renovated in 2005 to incorporate the Vacc Bell Tower, named after Nicholas A. Vacc, Chair of the University Counseling Program, from 1986 to 1996.
279 thoughts on “McIver House”
Comments are closed.