The first instances of student government at the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) began in the 1890s when individual students, called marshals, were selected from the two literary societies along with one chief marshal. In 1910, a student council was created to act as an advisory group for student issues and was comprised of three elected officials from each class. Finally in 1914, school President Julius Foust agreed to the students proposal and officially allowed for the creation of the self-government association. This new organization consisted of four elected officers (president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer) and the elected dormitory presidents. It was renamed the Student Government Association in 1921.