Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Katherine Henrietta Taylor was born on March 19, 1909, in Salisbury, North Carolina. She graduated from the North Carolina College for Women (now UNCG) in 1928 and was one of two alumnae elected to membership in the Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, a national honorary scholastic fraternity. Taylor received her masters at Radcliffe and soon […]

Mereb Ethna Mossman was born on December 1, 1905 in Winfield, Kansas. She received her bachelor’s degree from Morningside College in 1926 and her masters from the University of Chicago in 1928. She was a social worker in Chicago at the Chicago Orphan Asylum and head of the Department of Sociology at Ginling College in […]

Physical education, originally called physical culture, began as hygiene and physiology instruction taught by the college’s resident physician. Yet, it was not until 1921 that a Department of Physical Education was created, with Mary Channing Coleman serving as the first department head. Following the sudden death of Coleman in 1947, Ethel L. Martus succeeded her as […]

The School of Health and Human Performance (HHP) was established in 1991 and encompassed programs previously included in the School of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (HPERD). In a 2012 restructuring, HHP was dissolved, and three of the five academic departments moved to the newly formed School of Health and Human Sciences. Celia Hooper, […]

The State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) was opened in 1892 to primarily serve as a training facility for teachers in North Carolina public schools. The Normal opened a practice and observation school in 1893 under the direction of Philander P. Claxton to ensure students were well versed in practice teaching. Nearly all of the […]

The College of  Liberal Arts and Sciences began in 1921 when the North Carolina College for Women reorganized its administrative structure. William C. Smith, who was a professor in the English Department, was appointed as the first dean. College President Julius Foust was the creator of the new structure and he envisioned the College to be the foundation […]

Computing on campus began with the Administrative Computer Center, which was established in the fall of 1967. The center was located in the Petty Science Building and placed under the direction of Dr. Roscoe Allen. It was formed to serve the administrative staff as well as the academic and research needs of its faculty and […]