Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Anne Wortham Cone graduated from the Woman’s College (now UNCG) in 1935 with a degree in business. Together with her husband, Benjamin Cone (who served as mayor of Greensboro, from 1949 to 1951, and as President of Greensboro’s Moses Cone Hospital from 1956 to 1971), she was a prolific patron of Greensboro artists. She was […]

Cornelia Phillips Spencer was born in 1825 in Harlem, New York and moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina in 1826 when her father, James Phillips, took a position as a professor and chair of the mathematics department at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC). In 1855, she married James Munroe Spencer, a […]

Ione Grogan was a mathematics professor and residence hall counsel in the Coit and Weil dormitories at the Woman’s College (now UNCG) from 1935 to 1958. Born in Reidsville, North Carolina in 1895, she received two A.B. degrees from the Woman’s College, one in English in 1913 and a second one in mathematics in 1926. […]

George Washington Hinshaw was a merchant and banker who served on the Board of Directors of the State Normal and Industrial College (now the University of North Carolina at Greensboro) from 1910 until his death in 1918. He was born in 1847 in Chatham County, North Carolina and at the age of 17, enlisted in […]

This building, the first separate structure to house the School infirmary, was built in 1895. It was located next to the Wooden/Midway/Guilford Dormitory on College Avenue and was used as an infirmary until 1912 when a larger infirmary was built on campus. After 1912, this building was used for music studios, practice rooms and offices […]