Encyclopedia of UNCG History
An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
buildings and grounds
Mary Foust was the daughter of the University’s second president, Julius Isaac Foust, who served as president from 1902 to 1934. The Mary Foust Residence Hall, constructed in 1928, just three years after her untimely death, is named in honor of Mary Foust. Mary graduated from Greensboro High School, and the 1915 yearbook describes her […]
John Moyer Sink, Sr.
John Moyer Sink was born on July 15, 1885 in Davidson County, North Carolina. He joined UNCG (then the Woman’s College) payroll as “Superintendent of Laundry” in 1910, with a salary of $20 per week. Sink had previously worked in the laundry business in Lexington, North Carolina. Just a year after being hired, Sink was […]
Class of 1907 Minerva Statue
The first statue on campus was a plaster statue of Minerva, the school’s patron goddess and symbol. That statue was a gift of the Class of 1907 and stood prominently in the entrance hall of the Students’ Building from 1908 to 1950, when the building was razed. The Class of 1907 Minerva statue was a type […]
Carnegie Library Fire (1932)
On October 2, 1905, the library at the State Normal and Industrial College moved from a small room in the Main Building (now Foust Building) to the newly constructed Carnegie Library (now Forney Building). Unfortunately, tragedy struck the library on September 15, 1932, when it mysteriously caught fire. According to The Carolinian, the student run newspaper, the […]
Religious Activities Center
The Religious Activities Center served as the central administrative hub for all of the student-led religious activities and groups. The Center was located on the third floor of Elliott Hall, and included the office of the Inter-Faith Council president, the office of the Coordinator of Religious Activities (a University-hired position), and a large room in […]
Weatherspoon Art Museum
In 1940, the Department of Art moved into a new home in the McIver Memorial Building. A gallery was established and named in memory of Elizabeth McIver Weatherspoon, an early graduate of State Normal, the sister of founding president Charles Duncan McIver, and an advocate for arts education. One of the early exhibits in the Weatherspoon […]
Three College Observatory
The Observatory was built in 1981 in the Cane Creek area of Alamance County, approximately 8 miles from Burlington, North Carolina. It is a joint project between The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, North Carolina Agricultural & Technical (A&T) State University, and Guilford College.
The tennis courts are located on campus, north of Rosenthal Gymnasium and west of the Quad. Early tennis courts were located on the site of the present Mary Foust Residence Hall.
Student Recreation Center
The Student Recreation Center, designed by O’Brien/ Atkins Associates, of Durham, North Carolina, was opened in 1992.
Spring Garden Apartments
The Spring Garden Apartments, designed by Little Diversified Architectural Consulting, Inc., of Charlotte, North Carolina, opened in 2006 as student housing.