Encyclopedia of UNCG History
An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Jane Harris Armfield
Jane Harris Armfield graduated from Women’s College (now UNCG) in 1960 and was a civil rights leaders and advocate for higher education. She obtained a M.A. degree in Education from the University, and was also awarded an honorary degree in history from the University. She was involved with the University throughout her life in numerous […]
Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry
Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry (for whom the Curry Building is named) was a minister, politician, and Confederate Army officer during the Civil War. Born in Georgia, his family moved to Alabama when he was 13 years old. After graduating from the University of Georgia in 1843, Curry enrolled in Harvard Law School, where he was […]
Mary Foust was the daughter of the University’s second president, Julius Isaac Foust, who served as president from 1902 to 1934. The Mary Foust Residence Hall, constructed in 1928, just three years after her untimely death, is named in honor of Mary Foust. Mary graduated from Greensboro High School, and the 1915 yearbook describes her […]
Weatherspoon Art Museum
In 1940, the Department of Art moved into a new home in the McIver Memorial Building. A gallery was established and named in memory of Elizabeth McIver Weatherspoon, an early graduate of State Normal, the sister of founding president Charles Duncan McIver, and an advocate for arts education. One of the early exhibits in the Weatherspoon […]
Student Recreation Center
The Student Recreation Center, designed by O’Brien/ Atkins Associates, of Durham, North Carolina, was opened in 1992.
Spring Garden Apartments
The Spring Garden Apartments, designed by Little Diversified Architectural Consulting, Inc., of Charlotte, North Carolina, opened in 2006 as student housing.
Home Management House (Gray Drive)
The Gray Home Management House, located at 105 Gray Drive, was designed by Greensboro, North Carolina architect Robert E. L. Peterson of and opened in 1970 as part of the School of Home Economics. It later became the University’s Office of Management and Construction and then the University’s Office of Architecture and Construction.
Gatewood (Maud) Studio Arts Building
The Gatewood Studio Arts Building, designed by Hayes, Seay, Mattern & Mattern of Greensboro, North Carolina, was opened in 2006 and named in memory of Maud Florence Gatewood (Class of 1954), a nationally known artist.
The Dining Halls complex was built over a span of thirty-five years. Spencer Dining Hall was built in 1904, West (later Spartan) Dining Hall in 1921, South Dining Hall (later State) in 1924, Kitchen in 1927, and North Dining Hall in 1939. The four dining rooms and kitchen extend like spokes from the hub of […]
Coleman (Mary Channing) Gymnasium
On February 11, 1952, Coleman Gymnasium, designed by Loewenstein, Atkins & Associates of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened and was named in honor of Mary Channing Coleman, head of the Department of Physical Education from 1920 to 1947. In 1989, parts of the 1952 structure were incorporated into the Health and Human Performance Building (now known […]