Encyclopedia of UNCG History
An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Class of 1907 Minerva Statue
The first statue on campus was a plaster statue of Minerva, the school’s patron goddess and symbol. That statue was a gift of the Class of 1907 and stood prominently in the entrance hall of the Students’ Building from 1908 to 1950, when the building was razed. The Class of 1907 Minerva statue was a type […]
The 12.7 ton rock, also known as “The Rawk,” was donated by Alpha Phi Omega fraternity in 1973. Originally located between the Quad and the Dining Hall, it is currently located between the Library and the Dining Hall and has become the “student graffiti center.”
Ferguson (James S.) Building
This building was designed by Hayes Howell Architects, A.I.A. From 1983 to 1985, the building was known as the Arts and Sciences Building and was renamed on February 14, 1985 in honor of James Sharbrough Ferguson, chancellor of the University from 1967 to 1979.
This building, designed by Northrup & O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was built in 1948 and originally housed the campus’ Soda Shop. The building was renovated as a Faculty Center in 1963 after the Soda Shop moved to the Elliott Student Union.
Elliott (Harriet) University Center Terrace
The terrace, or patio, opened in 1953, at the same time that the first wing of Elliott Student Union was built. Located in the area between Elliott Student Union and the Alumnae House, it included the pavers and kidney shaped fountain. In April 1974, the Elliott Student Union’s name was changed to Elliott University Center […]
Elliott (Harriet) University Center
This building, designed by Northrup O’Brien of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, opened in 1953. It was named in honor of Harriet Wiseman Elliott who came to the College in 1913 and was Dean of Women from 1935 to 1947. The building was expanded and renovated in 1968. On April 11, 1974, the name of the building […]
Eberhart (Bruce M.) Building
This building, designed by Holloway & Reeves of Raleigh, North Carolina, was completed in two stages; the first in 1971 and the other in 1977. From 1972 to 1985, the building was called the Life Sciences Building. On September 12, 1985, it was named in honor of Bruce M. Eberhart, head of the Department of […]
Curry (Jabez) Building (Spring Garden Street)
The Curry Building, located on Spring Garden Street, was designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina. It opened in 1926 to replace the original Curry Building which had burned that year. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now […]
Belk Recreation Track
Located behind the Student Recreation Center near the Softball Stadium, the Belk Track was a gift of Irwin “Ike” Belk, philanthropist and retired president of the Belk Group retail chain. On September 25, 2009, during FallFest, the track was dedicated in his name.
Cotten (Sallie) Residence Hall
The Cotten Residence Hall, designed by Harry Barton of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1922. It was named in honor of Sallie Southall Cotten, an advocate of women’s rights and a leader in the formation of the North Carolina Federation of Women’s Clubs.