Field Day was an annual event held at the State Normal and Industrial College (later UNCG) from 1911 to the early 1930’s. Sponsored by the Physical Education Department, the program consisted of students participating in outdoor field events and later expanding to include dance and music performances. In 1930, the Curry School took over the […]
The State Normal and Industrial School had a practice and observation school, led by Philander P. Claxton, as early as 1893. Two of the ten original students at the practice school were school president Charles Duncan McIver‘s own children. In 1898, the practice and observation school was incorporated into the Greensboro public school system. It boasted […]
This building, designed by McMinn & Norfleet of Greensboro, North Carolina, opened in 1961. From 1961 to 1964, it was called Curry Gymnasium. On February 24, 1964, the building was named in honor of Herbert W. Park, football coach of the Curry School Phantoms from 1936 to 1959. The building was razed in 2004. This […]
The Curry Cottage, opened in 1948 on the Curry School grounds, was used by Curry School home economics students and Woman’s College home economics majors. For three years starting in 1968, Curry Cottage provided a place for teenage girls, who were pregnant, to continue their schooling.
The Curry Building, located on College Avenue, opened in 1902. It was named in honor of Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry, who advocated for the establishment of the State Normal and Industrial School (now The University of North Carolina at Greensboro), in the early 1890s. The building was used as a training, or practice, school for […]