Encyclopedia of UNCG History

An online resource for exploring the history of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro

The Department of Nanoengineering is located within the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN), a partnership between UNCG and North Carolina A&T University. The nanoengineering program launched in Fall 2011 with seven students enrolled in the initial class for a Master of Science in Nanoengineering degree. A PhD in Nanoengineering was approved by the […]

The Department of Nanoscience is housed within the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN), a partnership between UNCG and North Carolina A&T University. A PhD in Nanoscience and a Professional Master’s in Nanoscience were the first JSNN programs established when the UNC Board of Governors approved the degree programs in January 2010. Daniel J. C. […]

The Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSNN), a partnernship between UNCG and North Carolina A&T University, was founded in 2007 after at least two years of planning. Dr. James G. Ryan was hired as the JSNN’s founding dean in July 2008. In January 2010, the UNC System officially approved the first degree programs at JSNN: […]

In 1998 the name of the Department of Food, Nutrition, and Food Service Management was changed to Nutrition and Foodservice Systems, consequently changing the previous Food and Nutrition Major to the Nutrition and Foodservice Systems Major. In 2002 the department and major name was shortened to Nutrition.   Department Heads: Mark L. Failla (1998-2000, continuing from Department […]

The Department of Food, Nutrition, and Food Service Management was formed in the School of Home Economics (later known as The School of Human Environmental Sciences and now part of the School of Health and Human Sciences). In 1975 the School of Home Economics created six specialized departments, one of which was the Department of Food, Nutrition, […]

The  was not created without significant thought and planning, which began in the late 1970’s. In 1977, draft proposals and program planning for the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) program by Jean Eason and Charles A. Church, Jr. were reviewed by the Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Robert Miller. These reports stated […]

The subject of political science was first introduced to the State Normal and Industrial College in the early 1910s and was managed under the Department of History. In 1919, the name of the Department of History was expanded to the Department of History and Political Science to reflect the broadened curriculum. In 1959, the school began […]

In 1919, the name of the Department of History was expanded to the Department of History and Political Science to reflect the broadened curriculum. Within that department, students were able to major in either history or political science. This organization would last until 1970 when the history and political science split into two separate departments — the Department […]

At its opening in 1892, the State Normal and Industrial School featured a Department of English and History. The department was led by Edwin Alderman. The following year, however, the two subjects were split into separate departments, with Lucy Robertson leading the Department of History. Coursework in the department included and emphasis on Greek and […]